Saturday 2 March 2013

Inspiration No 4, 2013 - GOLD - Interiors, Food, DIY

Inspired by a post on Cush and Nooks last week, entitled, "Touches of Gold", I wanted to share a little more gold inspiration, food, interiors and some diy projects. While I was living in Brunei, I got a little fed up with gold as it was vastly overused in the opulent homes. I was fortunate to visit the Istana (Sultan of Brunei's Palace), a few times where I discovered gold was definitely OTT, it was everywhere, including 22kt gold plated taps in the bathrooms, even little shuttlecocks had been dipped in gold and were used for feet on some designer chairs in their private gymnasium. Another affluent woman I knew had gold poured into the foundations of her home when it was being built and yet another had paid a professional to fly out from Australia to apply gold leaf to all the intricate mouldings on her ceilings.  So as you can imagine I was a little fed up with gold at the end of my 8 years living there, however, now I am back in New Zealand and leading a normal life again, my love of gold is gradually returning and I've found some to share with you.

Gold leaf tutorial from The Creativity Exchange...Step by step instructions


Another step by step tutorial, gold leaf, paper mache bowls by Kelli Murray....Instructions here


Transform cheap tea lights with gold tape you can purchase similar tape here... Efco Creative Washi Tape - Gold. Image source Pinterest

Robert Kushner uses gold leaf in his unusual art works...See his more colourful floral works at DC Gallery

Food for thought....

With Easter on the horizon, edible gold leaf Easter macarons from...Yummy Mummy Kitchen


Top your favourite desert/trifle with a little edible gold leaf, it looks fabulous on chocolate cake too - Image source

Note: Gold leaf used for food must be of the edible type. I have placed some links for purchasing gold leaf both edible and for decor use at the end of this post.

And lastly, some Gold inspired interiors...










Grey & gold kitchen. if you love grey you may be interested in my last post... How to decorate successfully with grey

Interior images via 1|2|3|4|5

You can purchase gold leaf for both food and decorating items below:
For home decor - Speedball Mona Lisa Gold Leaf Starter Kit 
For cooking - Edible Gold Leaf for Cakes & Chocolates 25 Leaves 23kt 




Sharing this weeks  inspiration with:

1 comment:

  1. Hey I'm hopping over from the linky Partay "I should be mopping the floor". I really like your blog.

    according2sharon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your time to leave a comment, I ♥ to read your comments and try to reply to them all.